Monday, October 12, 2009

Eggs are evil creations!

Today I am starting my third week at Kitchen Academy and have already made quite a few recipes, from stocks and soups to homemade pasta and mayonnaise. Today was egg day and I was also Sous Chef for the day. The Sous Chef is in charge of the kitchen and makes sure the Chef Instructor is set up before class for the demo on whatever we're making that day. The Sous Chef also makes sure the Food and Sanitation Stewards are on task and fulfilling their duties. My lazy Sanitation Steward left before his job was finished. He left a full compost bucket and didn't empty the garbage, so I ended up staying an extra 20 minutes finishing up for him, even though I specifically told him to make sure the buckets were emptied before he left. But mostly today was an easy day to be assigned Sous Chef...there really wasn't all that much to set up. So moving on to what we made. We cooked four types of fried eggs, three types of hard-cooked (not hard-boiled because you're not supposed to boil them; they should be simmered), two omelets, and consomme (which is a kind of soup). Hard-cooked eggs were very simple and omelets turned out to be easier than I thought they would be. But fried eggs....not so easy. I know what you're thinking, how hard is it to fry an egg? Not that hard, BUT try flipping it without a spatula. I had to cook four different fried eggs and I went through about fifteen eggs I think, and I still didn't have it down. Whenever I tried flipping my eggs, the yolk kept separating from the white. I was so frustrated and ready to cry. I was getting a little better there at the end. I tried moving my frying pan away from the stove to do the flip and I was better at it. But then I ran out of time and eggs and had to just give my chef what I had. I ended up whipping up both my omelets in the last six minutes we had and they weren't perfect, but they were okay for a first try. Anyway, fried eggs...they are now on my list of foods I hate to prepare. I'm gonna have to practice this one at home because it's going to be on the final :(

1 comment:

  1. Good job getting your link on the family blog! I'm excited to hear about your school experiences.

    ReplyDelete